Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sleepaway Girls


 




I have my glasses on, hair fixed and smell faintly of bleach from just finishing up the kitchen – I’m ready for another Book Review! Whooo, snaps for Jordan! :) I was just sitting around listening to Ke$ha (for the umpteenth time) when I thought why not?! I was considering doing one every Friday, but honestly I am not a fast reader. I would have to do past books and would probably be talking about Romeo and Juliet’s last and final act instead of the current topic at hand let’s say, Andrew Clemet’s award winning book – and one of my favorites – Frindle. So to save myself the misery of deleting post after post to get it correct we are going to hold off on that for now. :)

The one I have refrained myself from doing the past month and a half is Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita. I will admit I was hesitant. If you’ve heard of her you know she is best known for her extraordinary work in magazines and such but even more so – by teenage girls at least – for her Secrets Of My Hollywood Life Series. I’m going to give you fair warning there is some bragging to come. The last addition to the series was released last year and yes I cried and had to have my sister read it to me. Puffy eyes are not easy to read with. I probably gave the Kleenex brand their Christmas Bonus due to this one book. I will admit that I was not pleased at all with this last book. Why would you end your series with her in Acoma? Once again I reeled myself in and decided not to send a stream of angry emails. You don’t do that to another person especially a fellow author. After I got over that HUGE hole in the road, I took over the book and read the last six chapters of The End. The Books are listed below:

1. Secrets of My Hollywood Life
2. Secrets of My Hollywood Life: On Location
3. Family Affairs
4. Paparazzi Princess
5. Broadway Lights
6. There’s No Place Like Home

Her other novels are listed below:

1. Sleepaway Girls
2. Reality Check

And her newest series premiered on March 23, 2012
1. Bells

I’m not going to go down any more Rabbit Holes :) This review is for Sleepaway Girls so let’s get started.

I boycotted the two novels mentioned above because I strongly believe(d) that she shouldn’t have taken tow hears off to write two other novels when I could have had two more books added to the series. But I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel. I see her reasoning. She wanted to let Kaitlin Burke live just a little bit longer, so that is why I am just now doing a review on this fantastic book. Sleepaway girls was amazing the main character was fun and flirty with just a tiny dose of shy.

QUESTIONNAIRE
Summarize the book without giving away the ending. A girl goes to summer camp with the idea of getting away from her best friend and her new boyfriend. Little does she know more drama waits at this little remote area than she ever dreamed.

What did you think of the main character? I fell in love with Sam Montgomery from the very first paragraph. I absolutely get where she is coming from. I would never spend an entire summer listening to two love birds. I think she took the high road. She left instead of causing a big fuss. :)

Which character could you relate to best?  Courtney AKA Court

Why? Because she doesn’t care what people think.

Were there any other especially interesting characters? Grace! If there was one character I wish I could relate to it would be her. I so wish I could play sports. Hello! Uncoordinated Ville Population: 1.

From whose point of view is the story told? Sam Montgomery

Were the characters and their problems believable? Yes. Although the way they handled it – in the end, were not. I just don’t see how all those campers cold care about two girl’s food fight. It should’ve been old news by the time they made the video for the talent show.

How did the main character change during the novel? She ultimately changed when she realized that her supposedly best friend didn’t care as much about has as she did for her. (does that make sense?)

What was the book's central question, and how was it answered?  It was a romance novel but I think it was basically about her pushing against her fears and leaving her sofa for the summer to grow. I think it was answered when she finally came out of her shell and left with friends and a possible relationship.

Did you learn something new from the book? Yes. True friends are there through thick and thin, wannabee friends are just there until something better comes along.

Was the book different from what you expected? Yes and No. I expected a boy to be involved – but not two. I also thought she would get a nemeses – I didn’t assume she would have to one day (maybe) live with her.

Was location important to the story? Yes. If she didn’t go to summer camp how would she have met Cole and Em.?” 

Was the time period important to the story? Not really. Well I guess in some ways yes. People now days don’t spank in summer camp like they used to. (Although they certainly should’ve done just that to some of those characters!)

What alternative title would you choose for this book? I always think that the author made the right choice, so I wouldn’t,

Share a favorite scene from the book.  At the very beginning when she gets hit in the head with a ball.

What did you like most about the book? The fact that it had a happy ending, I like how she stood u for herself and made what she wanted to happen. :)

What did you like least? It ended. I really could’ve read this book for eternity. Although you would need a lot more plot twists.

Did you like the way the book ended? Didn’t we just go over this? (But if it had to end, then Yes!)

What do you think will be your lasting impression of this book? That friends are always there. Jen Calontia is really good at portraying friendships.

What did you think of the cover? I liked it. I thought the camp t-shirt was a nice touch.

Would you recommend this book? Yes.

How would you rate it? **** Four Stars. (What? It isn’t SOMHL.)

Thanks for readin' - Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...