Monday, August 13, 2012

Sleeping Beauty



 

Hey everyone! Long time no type? I’m sorry it has been so long since I have been online (let alone written a blog post) I am seriously lacking in the personality department. I’ve been good, just chugging along. I finished my novel! WHOOO! It took nineteen days because I stayed camped in my room. My family had to practically drag me out of my room by my hair at dinner time. People say you can’t work on an empty stomach? It depends on how driven you are! Okay we aren’t here to talk about that, we are here for another book review: Sleeping Beauty – The One Who Took The Really Long Nap – In one word it was excellent. I loved it. Her version is awesome. It had humor and whit and I smiled throughout the entire book. It took about four hours of my mother screaming at me to do my chores to read this book but it was worth every second of me being threatened to be grounded – So VERY Worth It! It was an amazing read. Wendy Mass is doing the fairytales as she sees them through her eyes. For instance Sleeping Beauty went to sleep for one hundred years because her parents made a fairy mad. I don’t want to go into details (Although I say that then I probably will!) because I don’t want to ruin it for you. I bought the three that are currently in stores at the same time because I just knew I was going to love them, and I’m so glad I did because I could be begging right now to get the other one. ;) It’s two hours away so it could’ve been awhile. The other two that are out are: Rapunzel & Beauty and the Beast. Okay so without further ado here is the infamous Questionnaire!

**********

Summarize the book without giving away the ending. A Princes with no name searches for his true love who he hopes is the one century year old Princess in an exact replica of his castle hidden on his grounds. The book alternates between the Princess and the Princes’ point of views.

What did you think of the main character(s)? I loved Princess Rose and her quest to figure out what she wasn’t good at. She was humble and I believe someone who had the chance to have the gifts she had wouldn’t be as gracious. It took me a little while to take a liking to the Prince. He was more introverted and didn’t have many friends and at first no personality. But it developed over the course of the book.

Which character could you relate to best?  Sara.

Why? She held her friendship with Rose higher than she did herself. She slept for one hundred years leaving her family behind because she cared so much for her. She was her true family.

Were there any other especially interesting characters? The Prince’s Mother. It was a change for me to read about a queen with Ogre blood!

From whose point of view is the story told? It alternated between Princess Rose and the Prince life. The past and the present.

Were the characters and their problems believable? Of course not. It is a fairytale! If you were to sleep for an entire century reality is cruel and you would certainly age.

How did the main character(s) change during the novel? They grew into themselves. Since the story began with them as young kids. Princess Rose found she didn’t deserve her gifts and wanted to find something she wasn’t good at and then found that she wasn’t gifted because of a bunch of fairies it was because she was herself. The Prince always thought he was in the way – never having a place in the world. Even though he was in line for the throne he never thought he belonged.

What was the book's central question, and how was it answered?  Who was going to wake Princess Rose? The Prince finally got into the castle and was able to wake her by kissing her.

Did you learn something new from the book? No, not really. It was a basic love story just with fairies involved. (I loved it none the less.)

Was the book different from what you expected? Yes. There have been so many revisions of Sleeping Beauty I thought this would be just like one of the others, but it was not.

Was location important to the story? Of course! Sleeping Beauty couldn’t have slept in a cabin, she needed a castle. How else would the Prince have found her?

Was the time period important to the story? Yes. It was set in the eighteen-hundreds.

What alternative title would you choose for this book? There is no alternative. It had to be Sleeping Beauty.

Share a quote or two from the book. “Rose, listen to be carefully. You are not special and wonderful and admired and loved because a bunch of fairies gave you some gifts. You are special and wonderful and admired and loved because you are YOU.” – The Queen

Share a favorite scene from the book.  When he woke her.

What did you like most about the book? That her hair would grow back – I have never been so happy for fairy magic.

What did you like least? That Princess Rose had to change herself to marry the Prince. I think everyone person changes in today’s day and age to make their mate happy, but I thought it was odd – even because of his mother – that you would do that in a fairytale.

Did you like the way the book ended? Yes, a true fairytale ending.

What do you think will be your lasting impression of this book? That true love will find you.

What did you think of the cover? I loved the girly-ness of it. Super Cute!

Would you recommend this book? Yes a million times yes. Everyone needs to read this book.

How would you rate it? ***** Five Stars. It was an impeccable read.

1 comment:

  1. I love the new blog! It is so cute and girly and sophisticated too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...